If you have a standing mixer, pitas are really easy to make. We make them and I freeze them. These pitas actually have pita pockets. The first time I made them, the pockets weren’t very puffy but they tasted just as great. If you get a flat pita, don’t fret. The taste is the same.
3 and 1/2 cups of flour
1 pack of yeast (I used a pack and a tiny bit of the next for better results)
1 and a 1/2 cups of water
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 a tablespoon of salt
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1. Put flour in mixer with dough hook and add yeast.
2. Add water, sugar, salt, and olive oil . Mix until you get a slightly sticky, shiny dough.
3. Place a tiny bit of oil in the bowl, roll the dough in the oil and let dough rise until doubled in size.
4. Heat oven to 500 degrees.
5. Divide into balls and let rest for 10 more minutes.
6. Roll into flat discs and place in oven for 5- 7 minutes. Stay close to the oven and keep checking until the pitas have little golden areas.
Pitas can be frozen and reheated in a microwave.